Self Guided Walking Holidays
Saint Oswald's Way
St Oswald’s Way 97 miles starting from the holiest site of Anglo-Saxon England - Lindisfarne ‘Holy Island’ in the North, following the iconic Northumberland Coast, heading inland across beautiful countryside to Hadrian’s Wall country in the south. Our route takes in the villages of Bamburgh, Beadnell, Craster, Warkworth, Rothbury, Kirkwelpington and finishing at Havenfield on Hadrian’s Wall.
This route is traditionally done in 6 days:
- 1. Holy Island to Bamburgh (19 miles / 31 km)
- 2. Bamburgh to Craster (14 miles / 22 km)
- 3. Craster to Warkworth (13.5 miles / 21.5 km)
- 4. Warkworth to Rothbury (18 miles / 29 km)
- 5. Rothbury to Kirkwhelpington (15 miles / 24 km)
- 6. Kirkwhelpington to Heavenfield (17.5 miles / 28.5 km)
You can chose to do this over 5 to 8 days allowing you travel at your own pace.
- 6 nights 5 walking days – Demanding
- 7 nights 6 walking days – Moderate
- 9 nights 8 walking days – Easy
Accommodation is normally within 1 mile, 20 minutes of the route. In the unlikely event that we are unable to find accommodation here, we will arrange a taxi to take you to and from your finish/start point. This is at our expense.
- Accommodation on the night before you start your walk as well as each day spent walking. The last night is not included but can be added at £60 per person. Accommodation is in a twin bedded room. There is a single room upgrade available at £50 per person per night.
- Breakfast each morning
- Bag Transfers for each day you are walking
- Baggage Labels
- Guide Book and Route Map as well as Detailed Route Notes
- Emergency Contact Number for Boots and Bikes and contact numbers for accommodation providers
How to get there:
We recommend leaving your car in Hexham and taking the train to Alnmouth or Berwick upon Tweed, where you catch a bus or taxi to Beal, where your first nights’ accommodation is booked. We will arrange a transfer from Beal to Holly Island the following morning.
Berwick and Alnmouth are both on the East Coast mainline and connect easily with Edinburgh Newcastle and beyond.
Newcastle International Airport is also an easy connection to Rail Services as is Edinburgh Airport.
Note: We regret that we are unable to accept dogs on any of our holidays.
Cancelation and Curtailment:
Please refer to our terms and conditions.
We strongly recommend that you take out travel insurance for your holiday. Boots and Bikes cannot accept any responsibility for loss as a result of your cancellation or curtailment.